Skip to main content
+61 (8) 9285 1144

Welfare and Accomodation

At ISWA, we understand the importance of effective assistance for CRICOS international students who may be living in Australia unaccompanied by their family.

Residency Requirements and Accommodation Options

The International School of Western Australia does not offer boarding accommodation facilities. Therefore, whilst studying at ISWA, CRICOS international students are required to live with a parent or legal guardian. The Australian Department of Home Affairs must be satisfied that appropriate welfare arrangements are in place for under-18 students before a visa is granted. 

A student under 18 must maintain suitable accommodation, support, and general welfare arrangements. Under 18s may stay with: 

  • A parent 
  • A person who has custody of the applicant 
  • A grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, or a step-grandparent, stepbrother, stepsister, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece or step-nephew
  • A nominated person by a parent of the applicant or a person who has custody of the applicant 
  • A person aged at least 21 and of good character. 

If the welfare arrangements change, the parent or legal guardian has an obligation to advise ISWA and the Department of Home Affairs. Any alternative welfare arrangements must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs.

Welfare Support

ISWA recommends the following accredited service providers for CRICOS international students who may be living in Australia unaccompanied by family.

  • Australian Homestay Network: Australian Homestay Network (AHN) is Australia’s largest and leading homestay provider, delivering the highest quality homestay accommodation for CRICOS international students.
  • ISA Guardian and Welfare Services: CRICOS international students can liaise with the independent organisations of ISA Guardian and Welfare Services. ISA specialises in the provision of security, assistance, advice, and advocacy to international students during their study time in Australia. They can act as a liaison for student welfare between AHN, ISWA, and the general community.
  • Australian Federal Government Study Support: The official Australian Government website for CRICOS international students is Study In Australia. CRICOS international students can search for courses, institutions and scholarships, read about studying and living in Australia, watch stories from other students, and learn about Australian education.
  • Australian Federal Government Study Complaints Support: The official Australian Government agency for CRICOS international students is the Commonwealth Ombudsman. Students can access advocacy and personal support for complaints and appeals about their private education provider from Commonwealth Ombudsman.
  • Community Links: Download a list of useful Western Australian services, which relate to emergency, health, safety and more
  • City of Perth
  • Department of Health – Healthy WA
  • My Community Directory, City of Stirling
  • West Australian Explorer

Download our


Book a


How to


Australian Association for International Education Inc. trading as International School of Western Australia CRICOS Provider 02674G